Friday, February 26, 2010

GOD, I love Canada!!!!

I LOVE my country. I was UNBELIEVABLY PROUD to carry the torch, and that makes today all the more special fo me. Rarely has there been a prouder day to be a Canadian!

Joannie Rochette scored the greatest Third Place in HISTORY last night, taking Bronze in a heart-wrenching, passionate and brave performance, just days after losing her mother suddenly to a heart attack. Your mother is as proud as we are, Joannie!

The same night, our Canadian Women's Hockey team took their third Olympic gold in a row, beating the U-S 2-0. Although the young- guard stole the spotlight, with a shutout from Shannon Szabados (who was considered a third-stringer just a few months ago) and both goals from 18-year old scoring phenom Marie-Philip Poulin, for me, the pride peaked when the cameras focused on Hayley Wickenheiser, the greatest women's hockey player in history, and Team Canada's elder statesperson. To me, Hayley represents everything a Canadian should be... tough, straight forward, not afraid to tell it like it is, and quietly but fiercely patriotic! Her tears of joy brought on mine. Hayley, you are a true Canadian hero!

Tonight, our men play for the right to go for the gold on Sunday, most likely against the Americans. I thought I'd pass along the Olympic Hockey Prayer... I read it on the air this morning after getting it from loyal listener Joe Dionne, who got it from loyal listener Paula Ranson...

Our Father, who art in GM Place, hockey be thy name. Thy will be done, GOLD to be WON on ICE as it is IN THE STANDS. Give us this day, our hockey sticks, and forgive us our penalties, as we forgive those who crosscheck against us. Lead us not into elimination, but deliver us to victory, in the name of the fans, CANADA, and the HOLY PUCK. AMEN...

No comments:

Post a Comment